Pembahasan Soal Ujian Profesi Aktuaris
Internal control yang signifikan adalah mencatat transaksi yang sudah dilaksanakan dalam periode akuntansi yang tepat, sehingga perusahaan asuransi dapat merangkum semua transaksi untuk periode tersebut dalam laporan keuangan. Apabila perusahaan asuransi mencatat dan melaporkan penjualan suatu line bisnis pada Desember 2015 sebagai bagian dari transaksi dimaksud merupakan contoh dari:
- Valid transaction
- Correct account
- Correct amount
- Timely recording
- Timely reporting
The proper recording of transaction as executed requires the following:
- Valid transaction: An insurer records all authorized and executed transactions in its accounting records. The receipt of a premium payment is an example of a valid transaction.
- Correct accounts: An insurer records all accounting entries in the correct account. For example, the insurer should record the purchase of a large computer by debiting an asset account rather than an office supplies expense account. Similarly, the insurer records a policy loan to a policy loan account, rather than to a policy benefit expense account.
- Correct amounts: An insurer records all transactions in their correct amounts. If the insurer purchases municipal bonds for $100,000, including brokerage commissions, it should debit the appropriate asset account for $100,000 and credit cash for $100,000.
- Timely recording: An insurer should record all transaction in the proper accounting period. For example, an insurer records and reposts the sale of a line of business in December 1998 as part of its 1998 financial transactions. Failure to record transactions in the correct accounting period could result in the commission of the transaction and an unfair presentation of the insurer’s financial position as of the reporting date.
- Timely reporting: An insurer should summarize transactions within a reasonable time frame after the end of an accounting period for inclusion in an insurer’s financial statements, which summarize all transactions executed during the reporting period.
Jawaban: d. Timely recording
 Mulligan, E. and Stone, G. (1997). Accounting and financial reporting in life and health insurance companies. Atlanta, Ga.: Life Management Institute, LOMA.